A New Excuse Not to Go to School

August 31st, 2010

Time: 10:41 a.m.

Location: An armchair in the living room of my apartment

Sometimes life gives you miracles wrapped in small packages, like being able to pick open the lock on your suitcase. And sometimes, they’re a little larger – like the typhoon that is expected to hit Shanghai around noon today.

That’s right, for me, this typhoon is a blessing.

It means that I get to spend the entire day doing nothing but sucking back glasses of orange juice and water, eating toast, and swallowing handfuls of pills – oh, and sleeping. Because, yeah for me!, I am sick. And those pills I mentioned? Not doing much to help.

Lately, I have been ending my days feeling as though my students and a bat have had their way with me. Luckily, my main duty had been to observe the classes. Today, I was supposed to begin teaching. I was not ready. My lesson plans were half thought-out because I kept falling asleep mid-plan. Attempting to inspire the energy needed for 4 to 7 year-olds was daunting just to think about. So, when my line manager woke me up to tell me that school was canceled due to a typhoon warning, I couldn’t help but keep a note of excitement out of my voice: “really?!” I mean, “oh, really?” adding a note of concern.
I ended the call with a silent cry of thanks to the big guy upstairs.

So, here I sit surrounded by flashcards and CDs, construction paper and glue, paper and pens. And I don’t have to do a thing about it. Well, not for another couple hours at least. I will leave you with the view from my apartment last night. Yet another blessing in my chock-full life.


No comments:

Post a Comment