I Don't Hate China.


December 29th, 2010
Location: Coffee Bean
Time: 3:50 p.m.

Okay, so my life is way cooler than I give it credit.

I feel like this post is way overdue and I should probably write more in this vein, but it’s more fun to make fun of that which I don’t understand (because  I’m ignorant like that) and to whine about everything else.  Basically, these posts are a way to vent, but I don’t want everyone to get the wrong idea.  I don’t hate China.

I don’t.  

Really.

I’m definitely not in love, but China has a lot to offer.  First of all, I could literally go an entire week without spending more than 10 bucks and eat like a king. The night life is awesome.  I spent Christmas with about 10 different nationalities.  That is truly awesome.  I am meeting all kinds of people and pretending I’m a grown-up and networking.  I can legally download free music off google.cn/music.  I can buy DVDs for 50 cents. The whiter you are, the better. I get to tell people I live in Shanghai and look all cool and well-traveled and worldly (they don’t need to know the truth).

There is no such thing as a “normal” day by American standards.  People dancing on the street. Old ladies going head to head like it’s defcon1. Street food at 2 in the morning.  It’s a day in the life here in Shanghai and it is always interesting.

I’m going to ruin this glowing ball of praise to bring up a revelation I had the other day.  There’s this pervasive smell at one of the metro stations that reminds me of feces and other dirty unmentionable things.  Yesterday, as I walked past the food carts I encountered the smell again, and that’s when I realized: that smell? That nauseous, nose-wrinkling smell?  It’s made to be eaten.

This is just one more reason to celebrate China.  It’s so outside of my zone of comfort and normalcy that you can’t do much else but embrace it.  But I’m still not eating whatever that smell is. 

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Hee Hee! I love your writing Kirsti? This is so entertaining. And it is great that you are documenting your experiences. Embrace it all... within reason of course! :-) SO glad you have this opportunity! I am envious!

    I love to see and experience as much as I can of a culture but when it comes to food I usually whimp out! I wouldn't be going eat it either!

    Happy New Year!
    LJRN69

    ReplyDelete